Friday, March 13, 2015

I Believe...

"I believe in the future of agriculture, with a faith born not of words but of deeds - achievements won by present and past generations of agriculturists; in the promise of better days through better ways, even as the better things we now enjoy have come to us through the struggles of former years."
~ From the FFA Creed written by E.M. Tiffany

As a high school FFA member and Ag. student these words are forever ingrained in my mind. I remember sitting in the back of my freshman Ag. class and listening in awe as one of the chapter officers recited the five paragraph creed.

As I have gone through the past three and a half years in FFA and Ag. Education I have realized that I really do believe in the future of agriculture. Yes, there are going to be some road bumps and some difficulties to the path we travel as agriculturists, but that is how it has always been and always will be for everyone in history.

So what is the future of agriculture? We are already seeing so many amazing things such as sprinklers that have sensors and only water crops when the ground gets dry to help reduce wasting water, to drones that can fly over the land and help farmers and ranchers get an idea of what is happening with their land and livestock without having to go out themselves. Both of these amazing inventions help our agriculturists to use less time and be more productive, thus boosting the agriculture industry.

Only 1% of American citizens work on farms or consider themselves farmers. That seems like a horribly low number, but the reality is that there is so much more to Ag than just farming and ranching. So much more than beef and corn. There are florists and Ag teachers, veterinarians and business specialists, foresters and food inspectors, marketers and communications specialists.

I believe that the future of agriculture lies not only with the farmers and ranchers, but also with the people who fight to put an end to the endless lies and twisted facts about agriculture. They are those who spread the word about the good things that come from agriculture and help do away with the false truths.

As the last paragraph in the FFA Creed states: "I believe that the American agriculture can and will hold true to the best traditions of our national life and that I can exert an influence in my home and community which will stand solid for my part in that inspiring task."

I believe this to be true. I know that though at times the path ahead of us seems rocky, we truly do have a bright future in agriculture.

~ Aften Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment